Mathare United 2-1 Nzoia Sugar

Kenyan Premier League
Sunday, February 11, 2018

The lads produced a carbon copy of last weekend's result once again rallying from behind to beat Nzoia Sugar 2-1 at the Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos.

George Mutimba scored the opening goal moments after the half hour mark before a spirited display from the boys turned around the game in the second half.

Chrispin Oduor restored parity in the 77th minute before Francis Omondi secured the win with a well taken penalty in the 83rd minute after Festus Okiring had handled in the area.

It was the same script against Vihiga United as the boys were slow off the blocks and they were almost punished by Luke Namanda who intercepted a diagonal ball from David Owino, raced into the area but he was delayed to shoot and skipper George Owino intervened with a timely block.

Disallowed goal 

On the other end, Chrispin Oduor was played clean through on goal by Edward Seda but Mustapha Oduor came off his line to deny him just at the edge of the box. Moments later Oduor thought he had broken the deadlock after stealthily timing his run to sneak past the visitors’ rearguard but he was denied by Stephen Adeya who flagged him offside.

The flurry of chances saw Elvis Rupia miss a sitter at the back post after freeing himself from Samuel Olwande. Our best chance fell to Olwande at the quarter hour mark when Nzoia’s defence failed to deal with Seda’s delivery from a corner but he placed the ball wide with the goal gaping.

Mutimba opener 

The tempo reduced thereafter before Namanda brought the game to life with a low drive that beat Robert Mboya but rolled narrowly off target. Shortly afterwards Mutimba provided the breakthrough capitalizing on a communication error from Olwande and Mboya to prod home from close range after a beautifully worked attacking move from the right.

Any hopes of an equalizer before the breather grew dimmer as Cliff Nyakeya’s shot sailed over the bar before Oduor delivered his cross just behind an advancing Clifford Alwanga.

Both coaches made changes on resumption with Bernard Mwalala withdrawing Elvis Rupia for Patrcik Kwitonda while Francis Kimanzi sent Daniel Mwaura into the fray at the expense of John Mwangi.

The tide swung our way with Seda planting a venomous strike into the side netting to announce our ascendancy. Mwalala sought more attacking verve from Elvis Ronack who replaced goal scorer Mutimba and Kimanzi replied introducing Chris Ochieng’ for Nyakeya.

Scores level 

Even before the new formation took shape on the pitch, Oduor drew us level with a clever nod inside the six yard box after connecting to Mwaura’s early cross from the right.

With the game balanced, Kimanzi rallied his men forward and Nzoia’s finally gave in. A short corner between David Owino and Omondi saw the latter deliver a searching cross that was poorly cleared. Johnstone Omurwa hit the ball first time from the edge of the box and his effort got the better of goalkeeper Oduor but not Festus Okiring who pulled a Luis Suarez moment to save with his hand.

Omondi winner 

However he was not too clever for the referee who awarded us a penalty that was expertly converted by Omondi to the delight of our home supporters. A dramatic ending to the game saw the referee deny us another penalty after Seda was maliciously hacked in the box. However the numerical advantage worked in our favour as we held on to our slim lead to maintain our perfect start to the season.

The win sees us go top of the table with six points.

Starting XI: 1. Robert Mboya (GK), 16. David Owino, 25. Samuel Olwande, 6. George Owino (C), 19. Johnstone Omurwa, 5. Francis Omondi, 4. Edward Seda, 29. Chrispin Oduor, 13. John Mwangi (60' 2. Daniel Mwaura), 11. Cliff Nyakeya (74’9. Chris Ochieng’), 21. Clifford Alwanga

Unused Subs: 30. Job Ochieng’ (GK), 28. Gilbert Osonga, 15. Ronald Reagan 22. Roy Okal, 10. Ahmed Ahmad