Nakumatt 2-1 Mathare United

Kenyan Premier League
Sunday, May 28, 2017

If there is a match we deserved to win it has to be this one. Everything went right for the lads but unfortunately they emerged on the wrong end of the final result. To be fair to Nakumatt, they were lucky to escape with maximum points thanks to Kepha Aswani's well taken penalty with only four minutes left on the clock. 

Perhaps it was reprieve for Aswani who was guilty of a glut of missed chances throughout the match notably in the 84th minue when he denied Obadiah Ndege a goal. He jutted out his foot into the path of Ndege's goal bound shot from an offside position and the goal was eventually disallowed. 

Aswani misses 

In fact the first real chance fo the game also fell to Aswani who rounded Wycliffe Kasaya in the fifth minute but he placed his shot horribly over the bar with the goal gaping. Then six minutes later Ronald Musana picked him out unmarked with a searching cross from the right but Aswani could not keep his free header down. 

He was almost punished for his wastefulness on the other end when Lennox Ogutu embarked on a brilliant solo run but his long range drive was tipped for a corner by a full stretch Sammy Okinda. Daniel Mwaura's adventurous shot represented spirited attempts by Mathare United to claw back into the game before we suffered a major setback at the half hour mark when David Mwangi was stretched off the field of play injured; his place taken up by David Owino. 

Unlcuky Wise 

Moments later a sweeping team move saw Alphonce Ndonye play a quick give and go with George Owino but Okinda pulled off a superb save to deny Wise. The danger was not cleared yet. The rebound fell kindly for Chris Ochieng' but his shot was blocked bravely by Eugene Ambulwa. 

As the half time break beckoned, both sides had equal chances to grab the lead. First, Clinton Kisiavuki skipped past Lennox down the right flank and he did well to square the ball into the path of Aswani but David Owino intervened with a timely interception. On the other end, Mwaura showed quick feet to sashay past four Nakumatt defenders and draw a foul from Duncan Onyango at the edge of the box. He picked himself up to take the resultant freekick but his effort came off the wall. 

With the tie evenly balanced, Francis Kimanzi sought to add more attacking verve by introducing Harrison Mwendwa for the off colour Cliff Nyakeya yet it was Nakumatt who looked dangerous with Musana a constant threat down the right. The Ugandan saw his shot go agonisingly wide in the 54th minute before he combined well with Khisiavuki to set up Nicholas Mejja for the opener shortly after the hour mark. 

Mejja opener 

Mejja, in one of his trademark overlaps down the right, sent in a dipping cross that Kasaya failed to deal with and the ball flew into the top right corner. Kimanzi threw Tyson Otieno into the fray five minutes later and the move paid as Nakumatt succumbed to pressure from Mathare United. 


Unfortunately for Mejja he turned from hero to villain gifting us a penalty after hacking down Daniel Mwaura in the box. Chrispin Oduor stepped forward to take the spot kick and he expertly tucked the ball into the top left corner beyond the despairing dive of Okinda.

Aswani winner 

Both sides stepped up the pursuit for the winner despite slippery conditions at the Ruaraka Stadium with Oduor and Ochieng' coming close to giving us the lead. Unfortunately their efforts squirmed over the bar on separate occasions. Then against the run of play, the unexpected happened. Martin Ongori brought down Musana in the box and Aswani made no mistake from 12 yards out sending Kasaya the wrong way. 

The result leaves us bottom of the table with 9 points as the league heads to the midseason break.